Friday, February 15, 2013

Its Racing Time...What Are Your Plans?

2013 Tour of Oman, stage 5 - peloton

Photo: Graham Watson | www.grahamwatson.com


Lot's of exciting news in the cycling world these days to brighten the optimism regarding the outlook of the sport, especially after the dark off-season. We've got racing in Oman, France, Spain, Portugal and Italy through the weekend. On top of that, the Court of Arbitration for Sport corrected what I would call is the UCI's horrible injustice in denying Katusha a world team license. And, stateside, the Tour of California route was announced.

Professional riders lay out their season racing plans early in the preseason with their managers, laying out a plan beginning in February and ending usually after the World Championships and/or Tour of Lombardy. Each rider knows what they are doing and when.

As we gear up for the season, have you laid out our plans for the season? I wouldn't expect anyone to have six to eight months of rides laid out but I would expect that you should/would have a few targets for this season. For me, the three key rides I'm looking forward to are the two L'Etape du California rides and the California Death Ride. Sure, there will likely be other rides but those three are the big ones for me and will take me through mid July.

My intent in writing this blog is to motivate each reader to push and excel, both in business and on the bike. There is a lot of parallels between the two. I know. In business, you put a lot of planning into your business. So why not in cycling?

As the saying goes, "people don't plan to fail, they fail to plan." Take a few minutes and pick some rides that appeal to you. I've even set up a google calendar that I've added to the Cycling CEO website with over 300 rides from around the world to help in your planning. Here is the URL:  http://www.cyclingceo.com/#!gran-fondocyclosportive-ride-calendar/c140p .

Not only will picking key rides on the calendar give you a goal or target to work towards it will also help you in your training plans. Have a great weekend and, as always, let me know if I might be of service to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment